Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Shopping ...

On the 8th March this year I decided that I would no longer shop at the two big grocery chains here in Melbourne. I can’t actually remember if there was a ‘final straw’ but I think it was rather a combination of things.

I often found supermarket shopping completely draining, it was if I walked those aisles on auto-pilot, I tended to go into an automated daze as I filled the trolley then queued at the check-out. I felt like a number, one of thousands going through the motions, and not an individual. Considering I spent precious time each week, time out of my life, buying groceries for my family, I wanted it to be more rewarding, pleasurable even.

The largest shopping mall in the southern hemisphere is in Melbourne and I was horrifed to find the two supermarkets there were both the same – where was choice? I was also alarmed at the number of small petrol stations closing as these two grocery chains entered the fuel market offering money-off vouchers (4 cents per litre – about 3% discount at the going rate). I wondered how many other small business were suffering or even closing because of these giants and so the big, but easy, decision was made and since then I have purchased elsewhere.

How freeing!
How pleasant to interact with the butcher, greengrocer, or baker. How lovely to be recognized as one of their customers, to chat about events great and small while being served, to be treated as a person, an individual. I love it.

Although it took a little while to discover the best sources, it now comes easily and as a consequence I believe the quality of our food has greatly improved. Each small business owner, from the Polish man at the delicatessen making sure I sample the produce before I buy, to the greengrocer who will happily carry my purchases to the car if necessary, takes pride in providing the best. They can tell me exactly where the food comes from and most provide locally grown, free-range or organic. It takes a little more forethought and preparation and I tend to shop more frequently, purchasing less at a time (often on my bike) but it is definitely worth it.

I don’t know if my little ‘stand’ has much impact on the commercial world but I can certainly recommend the benefits it can bring. Try it – it will put the spring back into your shopping step and healthier, tastier meals on your table!

3 Comments:

Blogger Brenda@CoffeeTeaBooks said...

I am doing something similar. Although I often do my "stock up" shopping where I can get items the cheapest (especially nonfood items), I get the rest of my groceries in a "local" supermarket.

It is actually a chain that is only in my state (Midwest...USA) but it almost went out of business last year because of the big national chains.

That's when I decided to pay just a little more and shop "local". I also like to go to our farmer's market when possible to support local farmers.

I believe you did the absolute right thing!

1:12 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good morning! I'm using a bit of my early morning hours to read a few blogs--I found yours through Charming the Birds. I find that our little grocery store in town is less expensive in the long run than the big stores in the cities. Each individual price might be a few cents higher, but I do not buy what I do not need, and I am not tempted to buy the variety of items that look interesting, but are not on the menu.

Our neighbors are Amish, and I get produce from them frequently--this being strawberry season, we've benefited a lot from their proximity!

You are right--those small shop owners get to know us and welcome us so much more than the large ones. Each week at the grocery store a boy carries my groceries to my car for me--and asks which of the planets are visible in the night sky :-). "It will be Venus following the setting sun in the west and Saturn just to the left of Scorpio...Can you find Scorpio?...No? Well look for a very bright 'star' in the south just at dusk...)"

Blessings to you and your home,
Jean

11:08 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for your comments, I'm glad others are discovering the benefits of small scale shopping - including interesting conversations!

Another friend e-mailed me and brought up the issue of 'choice' - too much of it in the larger supermarkets! It is draining being faced with variety and making decisions on so many items ... that is another aspect I hadn't considered. Kathy

8:57 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home