Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Challenging ...


Last month I was challenged by this . The range, quantity, quality and cost of the food varied so much as did the amount of processed food and packaging used.


I realised that although I try to use home-grown, buy healthy alternatives, avoid plastic bags and excess packaging, buy from growers at markets and support small businesses by refusing to shop at the two big supermarket chains, I really had little idea about the quantity and cost of what our family ate each month.


To find out I decided to photograph the food purchased over the following four weeks with a view to assembling a collage of the total, have a visual record of the packaging, know the total cost and ultimately shop for non-perishables monthly (as I used to do) and cut down on any excess.


My recording time is up and yesterday I totalled the cost. It gave me quite a shock and I'm whispering it here ... $811.00! Our family spoke about it last night over dinner - all underestimating the amount except our delightful son who really had no clue. My darling, although surprised, accepted it as we had made the following choices:-

* to support small businesses: fruit, vegetables, deli items, fish, meat etc. This translates to personal service, better quality, usually higher prices but at least I know what farm the meat comes from!

* to buy/consume organic or free range: once again the quality is higher, the food better for us and the animals/land have been cared for in a more responsible way.

* to avoid processed food: cooking itself is not only enjoyable, the eating of the meal is as well, and we have control over the ingredients. The end product is healthier and cheaper.

* eating wheat-free: once again better for our health. A delicious but a more expensive option.


Although we are on the right track, it is obvious there is room for improvement so I will now endeavour to:-

* shop for non-perishables once a month
* make and use net bags for the fruit and vegetables that need weighing to reduce plastic further.
* bake more fruit loaves myself - I'd started buying expensive but delicious wheat-free ones
* reduce the (necessary?) chocolate purchases
* be more aware of, even stick to, a limit. It is here I'll try and introduce that fearful word - or is it liberating? - 'budget'.


When all this is converted to a healthy, balanced diet which is tasty and nutritious, trying to involve responsible consumerism and costs $7.25 per adult per day, it sounds very positive. I'll see how we go implementing the changes ...

*** The above images are a selection from the recording period. They include home-grown, farmer's market purchases, and items bought at an Asian supermarket as well as our local independent grocery store. I included all packaging in the photos - I'd love to eliminate plastic altogether.

*** An update on Roger - he is making good progress and it looks as if he'll avoid a second operation, for which we are very thankful.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is the first I've ever left a comment( so I'm a bit nervous!) but I wanted to say that I love your blog and find it very inspiring.I found it through a mutual friend, Marey Janey Violet. I've often thought of changing the way I shop and am interested in how you will make the net bags for the small fruit and vegies.The green bags are good for the main shop, but,as you point out, there is still far too much plastic used generally.Thank you for such an inspiring and interesting blog. Golden August Watttle

5:57 pm  
Blogger Kathy said...

Hi Golden August Wattle, how lovely of you to visit - and I can identify with the feeling of nervousness but do appreciate your comments. Thank you.
I plan on using some tulle I was given and putting in a drawstring. That way the contents can still be seen, the bag is light-weight and it can be closed. I don't know how durable it will be but I'll trial it.
Although I don't write as often as I used to, you're very welcome to visit 'amblingalong' and please pass on my greetings to my dear friend Mary Janey Violet - one who constantly encourages and inspires.
Kathy

6:42 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home