Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Crumble cake


Now that I know I cannot tolerate wheat and dairy, I adjust many recipes and have decided to put the personalised recipes here for future reference.
Today I baked what I describe as Forest Fruit Crumble Cake and although it doesn't really look very attractive it has hidden delights.
The instructions are as follows:

FOREST FRUIT CRUMBLE CAKE
1 3/4 cups plain flour (I use F.G. Roberts gluten free but charming son has made it several times for friends with normal plain flour and they loved it)
1 cup castor sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
Put into a bowl and stir with an egg whisk until well mixed and aerated.

3/4 cup diluted natural yogurt (I know it's dairy but I can eat it)
1/3 cup sunflower oil
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
grated rind of one lemon
Measure all these into a jug and stir with a fork.

1/4 cup plain flour
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup chopped nuts (I tend to use either almonds or pecans)
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
Put into a small bowl and stir together for the crumble.

Mix the liquid into the first lot of dry ingredients and add
1 cup berries (I use frozen forest fruit).

Put batter into a lined 20cm tin.
Sprinkle crumble mix over the top.
Drizzle
1 1/2 to 2 tablespoons sunflower oil over.
Spread another
3/4 cup berries on.

Bake for about 50+ minutes in a moderate oven.
Check if cooked, remove. Cool in tin.


* I find the F.G. Roberts flour is different somehow and the crumble and fruit topping collapses into the batter when baking giving it more of a fudgy texture - delicious.
* With other gluten free flours I find the crumble and fruit seem to stay on top and sometimes burn.
* I mix half yogurt, half water to dilute.
* I keep the oven a little under moderate - slightly slower cooking (even undercooking rather than overcooking) seems to suit the cake better though it may take longer.


It is a grey, rainy day here, wonderful for being cozy inside - I'm by the fire as I write - but not too good for cake photography. It gives the general idea though.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home