Sunday, January 14, 2007

Bountiful abundance


After four very enjoyable days away we have returned to our city home and with us a bountiful supply of plums. Along the roadsides near our cottage, hundreds of self-sown plum trees, their laden boughs drooping, are feeding the birds as well as dropping their fruit all over verges. The above picture shows where we pulled up to pick some (you can probably see the cows in the background - and notice how the paddocks are drying off).


Every tree seems to be different. I guess the bees have been cross-pollinating over the years to produce these non-commercial delights.


First of all I stewed some to have cold with yoghurt, then I bottled the rest so we can enjoy them throughout the year.


This afternoon on our return journey we picked some more which I will once again stew and bottle as well as making into the most delicious jam. I also want to try Jenny's recipe as our family regularly uses Worcestershire Sauce but I've never thought of making it before.

I love standing in the sunshine with a gentle breeze blowing, breathing in the fresh, country air while picking the warm fruit with its gentle bloom. One of my favourite movies is The Gleaners and I and I often think of myself as a gleaner when making good use of this plentiful supply of fresh fruit.

Let us continue to consciously celebrate this year of abundance ... the roadside apples should be ready in a month or so!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home