Monday, January 01, 2007

Old Year's Night

Years ago I met an elderly lady who referred to 'New Year's Eve' as 'Old Year's Night'. I had never heard the expression before but now have been pondering it as, for the first time, I felt yesterday was 'Old Year's Night'.

2006 has been a most wonderful year which started and then continued with thankfulness. My darling's thumb (and fingers) had been saved. His circular saw accident put much into perspective and the extra, unessential and unimportant aspects of life fell away. We then had many family and friends gathering and celebrating as THE WEDDING approached. What a joyful day! It was only a month or so later that dear daughter and her prince found they are to be parents. Joy of joys! Soon after, a dream was fulfilled as beautiful summer days were spent walking in the English countryside by the River Thames while sleeping on the ancient river at night. The blessings continued as the delightful one and his brother became involved with Student LIFE at their university campuses (my darling and I met at a SL conference) and our charming son spoke at a special service when he was confirmed. Throughout the whole year I have felt immersed in love. Often I have acknowledged that right here and now I am experiencing happiness, it is not some recalled emotion that I can recognise with hindsight but a real and present joy.

So 'Old Year's Night' ... did I want to enjoy 2006 just that little bit longer and wait for 'New Year's Day' to arrive before greeting 2007? Hurrying 2006 along didn't make sense when there is so much to savour. 'Old Year's Night'.

I do look forward to the future. This year my darling and I will celebrate 30 years of shared love and our children bring much joy and gladness into our lives and to watch them grow is very special. In a few weeks our first grandchild is due to be born - how wonderfully precious. We have the delight of the open countryside where our cottage is nestled and enjoy good health. I think what is at the core is I am learning to enjoy the present and not wanting to rush to the next wonderful experience as I used to.

We spent the last evening of 2006 with relatives in an old goldmining area of Victoria. We picnicked on a hillside with spectacular views over the surrounding countryside, enjoying the company while watching the changing colours of the clouds and paddocks as the sun set. Sadly, I did not have my camera but often such occasions cannot be captured by a lens so I will close by including a photo of the moon just prior to midnight as I said a last farewell to the old year.

(Images are not loading at present.)

"I trust in thee, O Lord,... My times are in thy hand... O how abundant is thy goodness ..."
Psalm 31:14,15,19



HAPPY NEW YEAR! MAY 2007 BE FILLED WITH MUCH JOY, BLESSINGS AND THANKFULNESS FOR YOU ALL.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home