Monday, June 25, 2007

Merry Midwinter


This weekend we celebrated ‘Merry Midwinter’, an annual festive meal that our family has enjoyed since we returned from our five year sojourn in England. As winter progressed during our first year back, the children thought that Christmas really should be approaching and that a summer Christmas just wouldn’t feel right. Thus ‘Merry Midwinter’ began and has been celebrated ever since.


A few years ago I decided to make and hang some bunting at our meal but it just didn’t happen but finally, this year it did. I wanted a wintry feel – it certainly was cold outside – and I kept thinking of the following poem. I taught it to the children during our home-schooling days in the 1980’s and I write it from memory so it may not be entirely accurate …

Come here, little robin, and don’t be afraid,
I would not hurt even a feather.
Come here, little robin, and pick up some bread
To feed you this very cold weather.

The winter has come, but it will not last long,
And summer we soon shall be greeting,
Then remember dear robin to sing me a song
In return for the breakfast you’re eating.


With this running through my mind, I decided on blues (a colour I don’t use very often) and a bird theme and used some images from a bird book I had given my father when I was very young.


I didn’t purchase anything for the bunting – year of abundance – and upon searching for some left over tulle from when I made dear daughter’s wedding veil I discovered a fabric remnant from my childhood. Mum had it stored in her box of material and as a child I was always attracted to it, so when my sister and I sorted through her things when she went into the nursing home, I kept the piece. I was pleased to be able to use it.

This weekend was also the beginning of three weeks holiday – hooray! I love my work but I also enjoy the regular holidays, so a double celebration.


So from our cosy fireside to yours - Merry Midwinter to you all!

2 Comments:

Blogger Brenda@CoffeeTeaBooks said...

I will wish you a Merry Midwinter!

Although we're to reach 90 degrees for a few days this week in our part of the USA. :)

10:28 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely bunting Kathy - and I am enjoying all the birds that are in fabric and paper craft at present.

4:03 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home