Monday, September 11, 2006

Gentle words

This past weekend I attended an excellent seminar at Melbourne University with some of my colleagues. The American presenter spoke to us about teaching and motivating children with learning difficulties which was helpful and thought-provoking but it was the final 5-10 minutes that made the most impact.

Relating personal stories, he spoke with great emotion about one of his past pupils who had persevered with studies and got a job, married and had children, but tragically he was in his office on 11th September, 2001 on the 110th floor ... leaving behind his pregnant wife and two children.

Greatly moved by his words, we wiped away tears as he continued to share his concerns about what America has lost, emphasising that this young man would never have wanted vengeance.

I left after that with thoughts milling around in my head ... who would want vengeance? Would I if one of my loved ones had been killed? What does revenge achieve? What has it achieved during the past five years? Who has the right to take it?

After pondering for the last few days, I believe that it is best if we leave it in God's hands. I know this goes against all our human instincts as we want the one who wronged us to feel our pain, to know what it is like to suffer, but really does any good come from vengeance? Surely God who is all-wise, all-knowing and who holds eternity in his hands can be trusted to ultimately bring justice - whether we are aware of it or not.

Also I wonder if doing what we can to avoid hostile situations developing in the first place is the best option. The Bible gives us a clue how to do this. "A gentle word turns away wrath". I have quoted this many times over the years not only to myself in unpleasant circumstances but to the children if someone was being mean to them, or to my darling before he entered a difficult meeting. Uttering understanding words that show we empathize is so simple but can effectively diffuse a situation that could get out of hand. Let us all endeavour to use powerful, gentle words ... we may never know the long term good they may bring.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home