Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Contented times


Well I'm feeling a little 'plummed out' at the moment. I've had a successful blitz on our bounty and have a year's supply of jam and bottled plums in the cupboard, as well as delicious Worcestershire sauce to last much longer. I had to process the plums quickly as once again the temperatures are soaring and I don't like cooking in the heat (the fruit doesn't keep well either).

Dear daughter's baby is due in two weeks and she is starting to feel a little impatient. It is a very exciting time as this baby is a 'first' for many. The first child, first grandchild, first great-grandchild. Our boys will be uncles for the first time, there will be new great-aunts and great-uncles as well as great-great aunts. Dear daughter married into a family with an Italian heritage and a large extended family. So cousins are waiting and Nonna and Nonno are already experienced grandparents.

My darling and I are very much looking forward to this new stage in our lives. We had our own children while we were young, hoping we would be healthy and well to enjoy life's continued joys when our children were grown. Planning all of this in our youth, we didn't take into account how attached we would be to our lovely adult children, so the plans for lengthy travel and long-distance adventures are not as appealing as they once were. This is not to say I do not enjoy exploring this beautiful world - walking the Thames Path this past English summer is one of the most special things I have ever done - it is just that I am equally contented to stay close by and with a precious grandchild soon to be around who would want to venture far?

"Godliness with contentment is great gain."
1 Timothy 6:6

2 Comments:

Blogger Keziah said...

This is so exciting. I am so glad that you will be nearby to see this little one grow up. We'll be expecting photos!

11:18 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You feel plummed out, I feel as though I have been squashed by an apricot. It's good to get it done though isn't it. How wonderful to be almost a Grannie. It's a long way off for me but I am looking forward to it. You will have a wonderful time treating your daughter and your grandchild.

6:58 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home