Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Happily busy


I'm busily doing nothing, working the whole day through,
trying to find lots of things not to do
...

Actually, this is not quite true! I find I sing or hum this chorus when I am happily busy - the current situation.

Above is the embroidered mini-block from block 4 of "Butterfly Garden". I'm now doing block five and still not as far ahead as I would like - but that's O.K.

School is back and the routine which encourages time to fly at a faster rate - that's fine too if I can keep it in perspective.

Our plans for Long Service Leave are falling into place nicely. We fly to Hungary and join the Habitat for Humanity team to build near the Romanian border; then walking through Slovenia; time in Brittany and Paris; England and Thailand. Three months altogether - three weeks of it unplanned to go where our fancy takes us.

Each weekend between now and when we leave is accounted for including flying to Canberra to see my darling's parents and extended family - it's actually my M-I-L's birthday today - Happy Birthday!

All in all, much to keep one busily smiling!

Here is the full version of the above (personalised) verse. Apparently it was originally sung by Bing Crosby, William Bendix, and Sir Cedric Hardwicke in a 1948 movie - it's lots of fun ...

BUSY DOING NOTHING
(Jimmy Van Heusen and Johnny Burke)

We're busy doing nothing, Working the whole day through,
Trying to find lots of things not to do.
We're busy going nowhere. Isn't it just a crime?
We'd like to be unhappy but we never do have the time.

I have to watch the river, to see that it doesn't stop.
Then stick around the rosebuds, so they'll know when to pop.
Better keep the crickets cheerful, they're really a solemn bunch.
Hustle, bustle, and only an hour for lunch.

(Repeat opening verse)

I have to wake the sun up. He's liable to sleep all day.
And then inspect the rainbows, So they'll be bright and gay.
You must rehearse the songbirds, To see that they sing in key.
Hustle, bustle, and never a moment free.

(Repeat verse)

I have to meet a turtle, I'm teaching him how to swim.
Then I have to shine the dewdrops, You know they're looking rather dim.
I told my friend the robin I'd buy him a brand new vest.
Hustle, bustle, we never do have,
we never do have, we never do, never do, never do, never do,
Never do have the time,
Never do have the time.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

. . . and Birthday Greetings to you Kathy for next week.

Glad your travel plans are going well. Sounds fantastic.

8:24 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home