Friday, October 06, 2006

The past week (c)

With the first week of term 4 underway I didn't have an opportunity to finish recalling out trip. Here at last is the final installment ...

Our next stay was with my sister and her family at Lorn in the Hunter Valley region of NSW. On the way we visited friends and met their sweet little baby daughter and enjoyed a tasty lunch on a balcony overlooking Lake Macquarie. It was a very warm day but refreshing to be by the lake.

Our warm evening arrival at Lorn was only the beginning as the next day it was 35°C with a hot wind blowing – a bit of a shock as we were only just emerging from a Melbourne winter. It was great to be with the C family though and they had done some amazing work on an extension of their lovely old home since we visited last year. Their family also increased in size when Dottie (a cavalier King Charles pup) joined them a few months ago. We mostly stayed inside, playing board games and chatting although my darling and my brother-in-law still took the time to go cycling in the heat.


Fortunately it was cooler the following day so my darling and I took the opportunity to walk a 23 kilometre route through the flood plains of the Hunter River to Morpeth, an old river port. The scenery was beautiful in the sunshine and we picnicked by the river, absorbing the views and accompanied by a bearded dragon sunning itself and this brazen, battle scarred dragonfly who decided to rest right beside me on my darling’s arm.


A stitching day was another treat. This particular friend and I had spent many hours, days, weeks ... together in the past happily crafting away and now she too has moved to Lorn. How lovely to have my sister and my friend living in the same little country community. We didn’t complete our projects but made a good start. Our husbands joined us for lunch in a nearby cafe.

Our last evening was filled with lots of noise, much chatter and many relatives who happened to be passing through the area. It was great to see them all. Then the next morning my sister and I finally had some time together at a very attractive nursery and coffee shop. She introduced me to this haven last year and I was inspired. This year was no different as we enjoyed our delicious morning tea in the creative shabby chic style interior. Our time had passed so quickly and too soon we were waving good-bye and driving down to the coast to stay with my brother and sister-in-law.

It had been a while since we had seen T and T and we had a great time with them. We especially enjoyed meeting J, my brother’s lovely daughter. She had been born when he was 18 and contact had not been kept with J’s mum. When older, J wanted to meet her birth father and a wonderful outcome was realised. She now stays with T and T regularly and is gradually meeting up with other relatives. To me this is a real, ‘good news story’. We said good-bye to T and T on the morning of my darling's birthday. It had been a memorable time away.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home