Sunday, January 21, 2007

"Explore"


Hooray, I've completed the first page of my Cabinet of Natural Curiosities and had such fun doing it ... but first of all I prepared the book.


I chose an old diary, removed most of the pages and covered it in fabric. I had been thinking about the challenge title and the strongest images I had were of my grandmother taking me to the Sydney Museum when I was a child. The cabinets were old, dusty and full of intriguing exhibits so I decided on a faded appearance to my book with a 'cabinet' on the cover displaying labeled items. (I placed a piece of acetate as the 'protective glass', so some images are not as clear.)


The first theme is "explore" and as a prompt the poem "The Road Not Taken" by Robert Frost was included. This made me think about life as a journey, choices we make, what I want to explore and how wonderful yet scary exploration can seem. I thought of myself as a child taking paths through a dense forest and what I might encounter. I imagined the encounters as tall flowers, delightful and harmless but a little frightening to a small girl. On my page I placed a photo of myself (with less flowers than I originally envisaged), part of a map representing unexplored territory and a verse to show the Bible as a guide book for the journey.


I didn't want my pages to be dusty and faded, but I did want to include an 'exhibit' for each theme as if it was on display in my cabinet.


It was thoroughly enjoyable with constant inspiration and ideas - I could probably do a book just on 'explore'.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, Kathy, this is amazing. You really thought long and hard about this and put so much effort into it. I think that what you come out with at the end is fabulous. You captured the essence of the word "explore" totally. I love your pages and the front of your book! Can't wait to see more work of yours!

9:24 pm  
Blogger Sharon Tomlinson said...

Your page and book is wonderful. Isn't that "constant inspriation amd ideas" you mentioned the greatest. I've been there too. Thanks for visiting over at my place.
Sharon @ Norah'S

12:29 am  
Blogger beth said...

ohhh...this is just wonderful. The colors are vibrant, which I'm guessing is just like your personality !!!

2:39 am  
Blogger Monica said...

Wow! What a beautiful cover and beautiful page! A love how you put all those tall flowers around. Really beautiful!

9:47 am  
Blogger Cheryl Connell said...

Good job! I like the idea of your diary with the "glass". I look forward to seeing more!

Cheryl

1:18 pm  
Blogger Keziah said...

That is a lovely book! I hope you'll be sharing more of it with us.

8:20 pm  
Blogger Christi said...

Wow! I absolutely love your take on the cabinet!!! Gorgeous work and your first page is just amazing!!! I am loving it all!!! smiles...

11:19 pm  
Blogger nerissa said...

WOW! What a beautiful entry. I can't wait to see your next ones.
Nerissa

12:17 am  
Blogger xxxxx said...

This is such a beautiful spread and I love that you chose to explore a "life journey". Love the flowers as landmarks and possible directions!

8:38 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home