Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Joys and responsibilities

"Spring was moving in the air above and in the earth below and around him, penetrating even his dark and lowly little house with its spirit of divine discontent and longing."

As we enter mid-spring, recent mornings have been filled with beauty and anticipation. I love that sense of restlessness that is apparent at this time of year. Each new day holds the promise of excitement and adventure, the feeling that change is in the air. In the past this was reality when the long university holidays stretched ahead, or a move to another town with new employment was being arranged or even more joyfully - the birth of a precious child was being patiently awaited.


This morning I was reminded of the above quote from one of my favourite books, The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame but over recent days I have been pondering on
"The world is so full of a number of things,
I'm sure we should all be as happy as kings"
from A Child's Garden of Verses by Robert Louis Stevenson. It is so true. This wonderful creation we enjoy as children of the King contains so much for our pleasure we should be overflowing with happiness. Yet the wrongs of mankind have marred its beauty and this affects our joy. Sometimes we're not as happy as kings, princes or princesses (as I like to think of myself) should be.

Last night my darling and I attended a public forum at the local library, it was on global warming and climate change and political representatives spoke on their parties' policies. Although I felt a tad despondent over the little being done by those who seem to have the power to do so much more, I was heartened by the number in attendance and realized we are not alone in our efforts to 'lighten our footprint'. A growing number of ordinary citizens of the world are concerned and are trying to have their voices heard. I believe this groundswell will continue and ultimately major changes will be implemented to care for our wonderful world. I was pleased to hear there is a 'Walk Against Warming' planned for the 4th November, leaving from the Melbourne Town Hall at 1 p.m. I want to be there, I want to see for myself how many really are concerned and I want the public and the politicians to take note. I know it sounds like a lot of "I wants" but it is not really for me as
This is my Father's world,
The birds their carols raise,
The morning light,
the lily white,
Declare their makers praise.

This is my father's world,
O let me ne'er forget,
That 'tho the wrong
seems oft' so strong,
God is the ruler yet.

Have a happy day, giving thanks that we are part of this beautiful world!