Friday, November 17, 2006

Smiling faces

On such a beautiful day it is hard not to smile and these are some of the happy faces that greet me. The weather has been so strange this week - very cold with rain, hail and sleet - I'm glad so many blossoms survived in tact. Much snow fell on the mountains around Melbourne, the weather report stating down to 400 metres above sea level. Our cottage is at 500 metres and I implored my darling to seize the day and head up into the hills, but he being the responsible type reminded me of all our commitments here in the city. I have been up there before in the snow and love it and now that I have a digital camera was keen to capture some of the magic on pixels. Maybe next time (but it's been over 80 years since we've had temperatures like this in November!)

One bonus of such chilly weather is the cozy fire, snuggly quilts and toasty warm hot water bottles at night. My darling and I both felt it was very 'English' weather and with the approach of Christmas it was just right. It is a little strange though to have the passionfruit in blossom (above), something I don't remember happening at Christmas in England! I have been enjoying the early stages of preparing and was inspired after seeing some ideas on Brocante Home Chronicles.

I happily re-covered some blocks of chocolate with festive papers as well as making a good start on shopping for Christmas gifts. As the frantic rush is not one of my favourite times, this year we hope to hide away at the cottage for a week, emerging on Christmas Eve to travel back to the city ready to celebrate the special day with our family. Well it's the plan, we'll see how it goes ...

Even with all the activity at the end of the school year and the Christmas season approaching it is nice to be reminded that 'happiness walks on busy feet' :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home