Saturday, November 03, 2007

A welcome break


It’s the Victorian version of the half-term holiday and it has started off wonderfully well. It’s actually a long weekend for the running of a horse race – The Melbourne Cup.

This morning Little Belle and I had our first shopping expedition together and she loved it (as did I) and was so good. It was a very ordinary shopping list but we arrived early and had a leisurely stroll collecting the bits and pieces. She charmed all and sundry, had a 40 minute snooze and then “ate” her stewed fruit while I enjoyed an organic hot chocolate.

The plan for the afternoon was to visit an art exhibition in the city. I hadn’t been to this particular gallery before but found it easily, passed through the brightly lit front room and then through dark curtains into a dim inner space. I think I was a little disoriented but discovered the works displayed in a corner and found the experience quite moving. The dark room, the images - framed in old windows with the glass dull and sometimes cracked - were like glimpses of memories. It was like peering into some half-forgotten childhood dream and all the while beautiful music, which the artists had composed, played its haunting tune. I spent some time contemplating and absorbing the atmosphere before making my way to a small office to discover more.

I found the artists have published a book. The display copy was absolutely beautiful and I have loved any self published books I have bought previously, but as it turned out the last copies at the gallery had just been bought by two lovely ladies. (I am hopeful of purchasing my own through other avenues). For a treat, have a peep here for a little insight into the artists’ inspiring creativity.

Tomorrow we’re off to the cottage …

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home