Tuesday, January 23, 2007

"Curiosity"


The second page for the Cabinet of Natural Curiosities is Curiosity. After reading the challenge I quickly started envisaging my page but later realized that the creative process, carefully explained with the prompt, was part of it. Oh dear, a little out of my comfort zone! I wanted to try the process as it looked so inspiring but ... with my book?

I decided to make a start by drawing each method out at random and taping them in order on a piece of card:
SCRATCH - MAGAZINE - PATTERN - PENCIL - SMUDGE - SAND - PHOTOGRAPH - DRAW - STAMP - SURPRISE - 3-D - TEXT - INK - WIPE - WRITE - PAPER - PAINT
It wasn't the order I would have liked but beginning by scratching should be easy! Each stage was surprisingly quick and although it was a little unsettling not having any idea how the finished page would look, I did enjoy it.

I used SURPRISE for my 'cabinet' and finished most of the page yesterday evening. I was not looking forward to PAINT as it was the last and I couldn't imagine my whole page covered in paint. I thought of doing a transparent watercolour wash but I had used ink for curiosity and it would run. To avoid that I ended up rag-rolling the paint on and it was a little unnerving as there is no trial run!

You can probably tell I was a little apprehensive doing all this but after going to get the groceries and returning to look at it again with a fresh eye, I quite like my page and I'm pleased I stepped out of my familiar ways.

The preparation of this page was really interesting in other ways too. Firstly it occurred to me that the items I had chosen were all things I was curious about. Actually this was not intentional as I was more concerned with the process rather than the theme. I love gypsy caravans with my favourite being one I saw in Devon with its beautiful polished wood interior with brass knobs and lace curtains; lace interests me and years ago I took a course in lacemaking. I have since found out that my forebears were Nottingham lacemakers; the book plate - what a wonderful resource books are for the curious - and the cat fits in well with the old saying!

The other thing I noticed was the number of times I asked myself "I wonder what would happen if ...?" Curiosity in action!

10 Comments:

Blogger MamaBirdEmma said...

Beautiful! You are a talented artist!

4:16 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! What a stunning web page, and so creative. You must be a really lovely person Kathy> I have visited a few times and love your work.

A male admirer.

4:54 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really think it is beautiful! I love that carriage and this is just an interesting page, so much to look at!
Hows that John guy! "A male admirer" -woo hoo!! LOL!

12:22 am  
Blogger Kari said...

This is absolutely gorgeous. Love your post about your process. Glad it all came together for you. Love it!!!!

2:52 am  
Blogger Christi said...

Oh, my! I really love your curiosity page...gorgeous!!! smiles....

7:55 pm  
Blogger Christi said...

Oh, my! I really love your curiosity page...gorgeous!!! smiles....

7:58 pm  
Blogger Monica said...

Wow! I love this! Everything is really beautiful!

5:50 pm  
Blogger Lizzy said...

Wow, Kathy, this is a gorgeous, gorgeous piece. I love all the different layers working so well together--so cohesive. LOVE this, it's so pretty!

2:54 am  
Blogger Carol Soules said...

Oh my!! This is lovely. I am so glad you took the "risk" and followed the promt. I love the cavarvan, the lace, the multi-layer effects. And ragging on the piant at the end! Whatas great idea and effect. Splendid!!

7:38 am  
Blogger Anne of Alamo said...

your pages jumped out at me! I wanted so to have a cat on mine also...I struggled horribly with this one, and yours is wonderful! I enjoyed seeing yours immensely!

2:51 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home