Monday, February 05, 2007

"Wonder"


This past week's challenge was to 'scrapjack' or copy someone else's style. I chose a design that was quite mono-chromatic blue/grey with a contrast of red, colours I tend not to use. As it turned out my finished design is only vaguely similar to it but the idea was to 'make it my own'.

The theme was "wonder" and as it has been a week full of wonder ... the wonder and absolute miracle of birth, I had to incorporate something of this into my page so put in the cabinet piece, labelled "life", at the top left.

Day-to-day, the starry heavens always fill me with a sense of wonder and I can imagine previous generations also standing in awe at such a spectacle. Down through the centuries, the night sky is one of unchanged vistas that I'm sure has filled all those who gaze at it with wonder.

I placed a photo of myself as a child on the page to show that a sense of wonder can last a lifetime and chose the quote with not only myself, but the new babe in mind so changed the gender, it says:
"If a child is to keep alive her inborn sense of wonder, she needs the companionship of at least one adult who can share it, rediscovering with her the joy, excitement and mystery of the world we live in".
Once again, I enjoyed this prompt. It was pushing me out of the familiar, but isn't it interesting that even when you are to imitate someone else's style, your own always seems to step in? As it was getting dark, I had to use a flash so there is a bit of reflection on the page, but you can get an idea of how it looks. I knew I wouldn't get it finished in time (sorry) so was pleased to find the challenges are now once a week - more time for cuddles!

Thanks for all your lovely comments and notes of congratulations. It is such a special time.

6 Comments:

Blogger Sharon Tomlinson said...

Good morning Kathy, Congratulations on a new baby in your royal family. She is precious and just in time to get on you "wonder" page which is also very beautiful.
Thanks for stopping by my place.
Sharon

1:35 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love this post, your work, love the quote and CONGRATULATIONS on the new bundle of joy! Wow...how truly awe inspiring!
Kari
www.artsymama.blogspot.com

3:03 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kathy,

I forgot all about the night sky! That is one of my wonders as well.

Cheryl

8:14 am  
Blogger Lizzy said...

Kathy, I really like your piece... and how wonderful that you got to incorporate that photo with your grand-daughter's hand! So special. Very very pretty!

3:23 am  
Blogger Monica said...

This is so beautiful. The quote, the holding hands picture! So precious! The overall feeling of the page is beautiful.

5:29 pm  
Blogger Carol Soules said...

A wonderful interpretation of "wonder." And that new baby.....A priceless blessing! Isn't this challenge fun?

12:31 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home